CHANGE IS IN THE AIR!
Spring is not only a great time to cleanse our homes and our closets but it’s also a great time to cleanse our bodies. Spring is a time of renewal and with every new season, there is a new opportunity to press the reset button.
So what does a cleanse/detox for our bodies look like?
The word detox is a word that gets thrown around a lot. It’s become super simplistic and often people are confused behind the purpose of their detox. The goal of a cleanse/detox is to decrease the toxic burden load in our body which could be accumulating due to the environment, pollution, or foods that are processed in nature. Detoxes are a time to give everything a rest. Specifically the digestive system and all the organs including the liver which play a major part in our day-to-day detoxification.
Why is detoxification important?
Detoxification is essential to the body eliminating toxic and harmful substances and without the proper elimination, our bodies would basically be a toxic waste dump. There are seven channels of elimination in the body: lungs, liver, skin, kidneys, colon, lymph and blood. If one of these channels isn’t working efficiently or becomes overloaded your body will reabsorb the waste and toxins. This can create a whole host of uncomfortable symptoms and if left untreated could lead to the development of various diseases.
Early signs that the body is overburdened/not detoxing efficiently:
➡️ Weight gain/weight loss
➡️ Skin disorders
➡️ Dark circles under the eyes
➡️ Frequent colds/flues
➡️ Sleep issues
Some tips for your next detox:
1) First, start with intent. What is it that you really want to address? Get clear on why this is important to you and what you are realistically looking to get out of it.
2) Water is ESSENTIAL. Make it a priority. You are going to need to drink a lot to ensure you are properly eliminating the toxins.
3) To help with the transition into the detox, have a 3 day work up to prepare yourself.
Slowly start to incorporate some of the changes. Be careful of the mindset that you have to “binge all your favourite foods while you still can”. This can set you back and make the initial adjustment more difficult.
4) Be present with how the body is expressing itself. If you feel sick your channels of detoxification may not be open enough so your body is just reabsorbing instead of getting rid of the waste. This doesn’t mean that you need to completely stop the detox but you can back off or reassess what it is you need to address.
5) Come out of the detox slowly. If you just finish your detox and immediately have a big dinner full of processed foods your body can have an uncomfortable reaction to that. Instead, gradually start introducing different foods back into your diet to allow your body to adjust again.
6) Work towards adopting a detox lifestyle. After you finish your cleanse/detox take what you’ve learned about yourself, your body, and your relationship with food and start incorporating changes that will lessen the toxic load your body experiences on a daily basis for long-lasting results.
Top 5 cleansing foods:
Its diuretic properties help rid your body of excess liquid, carrying toxins with it. It’s also sulfur-rich, helping your liver break down toxins.
Steam some kale to benefit from its powerful anti-cancer and antioxidant compounds that help cleanse the body of harmful substances. It is also high in fiber, which helps cleanse the intestinal tract.
Contain natural aspirin that helps lessen the tissue-damaging effects of chronic inflammation, while lessening pain. They also have antiviral properties and help block toxins from crossing the blood-brain barrier.
Excellent blood cleansers and contain many different anti-cancer compounds that help detoxify cancer cells from the body.
Loaded with essential fatty acids, particularly the Omega-3s, flaxseeds and flaxseed oil are essential for many cleansing functions in the body.
Benefits of detoxing include:
✔️ Prevents disease
✔️ Weight loss
✔️ Boosts immunity
✔️ Improves clarity and alertness
✔️ Improves digestion
✔️ Improves mood and energy
✔️ Skin health
If you’d like more guidance, structure and accountability to complete a cleanse/detox you can join my 7 Day Holistic Cleanse program starting on May 16th. In this program, you will get a meal plan with recipes and a grocery list, a supplement plan, a daily schedule, a program booklet, ongoing support, and so much more. You can REGISTER HERE to join the wonderful group in the next program starting May
Unsure if cleansing is the right strategy to achieve your health goals? I’m here to help you find the right path customized to your needs! You can book your FREE DISCOVERY CALL.