Now that the temperature is dropping, snow is falling, and my winter coat has become a staple with every outfit, I’ve noticed my body starting to crave warm soups, stews, and most recently, Dahl! This Dahl recipe is one of my favorite because it tastes amazing without having to put in hours of preparation and also keeps really well (even tastes better the next day)! It’s perfect for meal prepping for the week or as a delicious leftover. Safe to say I haven’t been able to get enough of this Dahl recipe!
Not only is it absolutely delicious and exactly what my body has been craving to stay warm and grounded, but it’s packed with protein and full of ingredients that promote immune health, decrease inflammation, and aid in digestion. A few of the star ingredients that make this recipe a keeper in my book are cilantro, ginger, and lentils.
Both cilantro and ginger have an extremely high antioxidant concentration. Anti oxidants stabilize free radicals in our body (which contribute to things like disease and aging) and thus, decrease inflammation in our body. Cilantro is also a crucial herb for blood sugar management and detoxification because of its ability to bind to heavy metals and remove them from our body.
Plus, lentils are an AMAZING source of soluble fiber! Even though both insoluble and soluble fiber are essential in our diets, most people are not consuming enough in their daily diets. Incorporating enough dietary fiber can help control body weight, regulate bowel movements, and lower risk of disease as it is a helpful agent in removing metabolic waste from the body.
This recipe is packed with nutrients and tastes amazing! Let me know in the comments below what you think!
- 1/2 Cup Red Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsps Water
- 1 1/2 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 1 1/2 tsps Ginger (fresh, minced, or grated)
- 2 1/4 tsps Curry Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 3/4 cup Dry Red Lentils (rinsed)
- 1 1/4 cups Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Milk (from the can)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- 2 1/4 tsp Lime Juice
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, water, garlic, and ginger in the pot and cook until the onion softens and the water evaporates about 5 – 7 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, cumin, salt and cayenne and cook for another minute until very fragrant. Stir in the lentils.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk to the pot and stir to combine. Bring the lentils to a gentle boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Let it simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and the lime juice. Season with additional salt if needed. Enjoy!
*That Clean Life recipe
Until Next Time,