HIP HIP HOORAY it’s berry picking season! Get out there to pick up some of your own basket of berries – or buy some from your local grocery store. (check out STRAWBERRY CREEK FARMS or ROBINTIDE FARMS just North of Toronto https://www.strawberrycreekfarms.ca/ Summer is a great time to indulge in raspberries, mulberries, strawberries and blackberries. This Canada Day I was craving a summer fresh delight that I can dig into! Enough of the banana breads and oatmeal cookies…I needed to switch it up! There is something so perfect about the combination of fresh coconut whip cream, homemade jam, berries and shortcake.
- 1 and 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup any nut milk (I like coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Hint of cinnamon
- 1/2 can of coconut milk – chilled overnight
- ½ tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Lemon zest
- Fresh strawberry or raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, sift together brown rice flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.(use a small holed strainer) Using a fork, mesh in the coconut oil into the flour until the mixture resembles a coarse crumb.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup. Pour the liquid into the bowl with the flour and stir until a dough forms. Shape the dough into a large ball with your hands, then transfer to a parchment paper sprinkled with flour. Roll it out to roughly 1-inch thick then use a cookie cutter (or small cup) to cut out the shortcakes. Continue to ball up the dough, press it out and cut until you have 12-15 cakes.
- Move the parchment paper to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 11-14 minutes, until light golden brown on the edges. Set aside to cool completely.
- After the can of coconut milk has been chilled overnight (important step), scoop out the top layer which should be solid. Place into a medium size bowl.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest and use a electric beater or beat high speed by hand with a whisk until fluffy
ARRANGEMENT: Served layered with whip cream, jam, and berries. Grab one shortbread cookie, layer coconut whip, place jam on top, layer more coconut whip and top with 2nd shortbread cookie. Add more coconut whip on top of the cookie and place 1-2 raspberries on top! Serve immediately and ENJOY 😊
Let me know what you think below! >>