In 2018 I visited India for a month, falling in love with their food. The spices used are so nourishing and healing, and was truly inspired by Ayurvedic herbal remedies. During that time I was lucky enough to learn a delicious Chicken Tikka Masala recipe from this lovely Indian woman within her home. Thought to share it with you all, and trust me it is not as hard as it seems! I promise 🙂
Graham Masala Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder or 1/4 cup of seed
- ½ tbsp of cumin powder or 2 tbsp of seed
- 1 tsp black pepper or 2 tsp of cayenne pepper *more if want spicier
- 1 flower star anise or 2 tsp or powder
- 10 cloves
- 3” Cinnamon stick or ½ tbsp of powder
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 13 Cardamom pods
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 4-5 bay leaves
*add everything to grinder or blender. Place in jar for future curry dishes 😊
*optional – dry roast all seeds in a frying pan on low heat before you blend
*notes: use organic spices where possible!
CHICKEN MARINADE INGREDIENTS
- Graham masala – 1 tbsp
- Coconut cream – top of can
- 1 tsp turmeric powder or 1 tbsp fresh
- 2 tsp ginger powder of 1 tbsp fresh
- 2 lbs of chicken thighs or breast
*Marinade in a bowl for at least 20 minutes
- 2 ginger cloves
- 1 small onion
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tsp graham masala
- 1 cup sweet potato
- 1 cup carrots
- 1-2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 can of coconut milk
- ½ cup of water
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 cups jasmine, basmati or brown rice
*optional collard greens, spinach or kale
1) heat oil in a pan on medium -high heat. Add in chicken & cook 3 min each side. Do not fully cook – remove and set aside onto a plate .
3)On medium-high heat using the same pan, add onions and brown. Add some water throughout to avoid sticking. Add garlic, ginger and graham masala.
4) Add sweet potato, carrots and some water, stirring throughout. Add tomato puree and water. Cover on low 5 – 6 minutes.
5) Add remaining of coconut can. Add chicken that was set aside and cover on low for 8 – 10 minutes. Add salt and greens.
TOP with fresh cilantro or dried! ENJOY 😊
**TIPS: you can do the prep anytime throughout the day so when making for dinner , it will take 15 minutes! Such as the spice mix, cook rice, marinate the chicken, chop ingredients.
2 thoughts on “CHICKEN TIKKA MASALA – CURRY”
It looks so delicious! Love it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Your welcome! I hope you like it!!