Breakfast is often called ‘the most important meal of the day, and for good reason! BREAK – FAST, breaks the overnight fasting period. It replenishes your supply of glucose to boost your energy levels and alertness, while also providing other essential nutrients required for good health.
Some of the many health benefits of eating breakfast include:
- improves your energy and concentration levels,
- increases nutrient intake,
- reduces binge eating (especially in the evening hours),
- regulates bowels (think fiber!),
- reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease in the long term.
Breakfast is so important yet I find a lot of people eat the same things over and over, day to day and I have been guilty of this myself. It is so much more than toast/jam, sugary cereals, coffee or drive-through breakfast sandwiches. Busy lifestyles have affected having a proper nutritious breakfast and convenience foods (or skipping it altogether) have taken over. Breakfast doesn’t have to be time-consuming and can be easy, delicious and nutritious!
The Berry Protein Bowl is just one example. It’s made up of berries, nuts and seeds and can be put together in less than 5 minutes! Not only is this a great breakfast idea but it can also be a good snack to eat at home or to pack and take with you and with summer now upon us, fresh ingredients are indeed available at local farmers’ markets!
Here are some highlights of a couple of the ingredients in the Berry Protein Bowl:
- blueberries: this berry’s color alone shows it’s full of antioxidants which help protect our cells from damage, they’re a good source of vitamin C, fiber for digestive health, vitamin E, manganese
- strawberries: a great source of vitamin C, K, fiber, B6 which aids in detoxification, iodine for a healthy thyroid, folic acid, anti-inflammatory, manganese and they even have anticancer effects on the body
- almonds: high in good fats for brain health, calcium for bone health, potassium, magnesium, iron, antioxidants, vitamin E for healthy hair, skin and detoxification and can lower bad cholesterol for heart health
- hemp seeds: Contain EFAs (essential fatty acids) omega-6
Summer Berry Protein Bowl
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp crushed almonds
- ½ cup coconut milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- Add all your berries to the bowl (you can use any berries that you like).
- Pour dairy-free milk.
- Top it with almond butter, hemp seeds and almonds.
If you love using fresh & seasonal produce in your recipes as much as I do, you can check out those recipes for some inspiration:
Tired of creating your meal plans and searching for healthy recipes or swaps to your favourite foods?
Say goodbye to the overwhelm and let me help you! There’s no need to embark on your health journey alone so let me alleviate your stress by setting you up with a customized Summer Meal Plan.
The great news is that I’m offering $35 OFF of my customized Summer Meal Plan! You can order it directly from my website and use the promo code MEALPLAN35 at checkout to unlock your exclusive discount!
Don’t miss out on this exclusive offer! It expires on August 15th (booking spaces limited).