Although the majority of people have heard of probiotics, very few know much about them other than they are a “buzz word” in the Health and Wellness industry. However, probiotics are one of the most important components in rebuilding and maintaining a thriving microbiome.
So, what are they exactly? Well to fully grasp the role of probiotics in the beautiful and mysterious vessel that is our body, we have to start with a simple understanding of the gut. Our bodies contain anywhere from 39 – 300 trillion bacteria; most of which are harmless and most of which reside in the gut and make up what we call the microbiome. When the amount of “bad” bacteria in the gut starts to surpass the amount of “good” bacteria in the gut, that’s when individuals experience all sorts of symptoms ranging from inflammation to painful gas and bloating. Probiotics, or “good” live bacteria, help to correct this imbalance and restore harmony within your microbiome.
Individuals with a healthy, diverse, and thriving population of gut bacteria reap the rewards of several health benefits including:
- more easeful weight loss
- improved digestion
- enhanced immune function
- healthier skin
- reduced risk of some diseases
However, before you click over to my supplement dispensary to stock up on probiotics, let’s run through the many different types that are on the market as each strain is targeted to assist in relieving specific symptoms.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus: helps to aid digestion, reduces cholesterol levels and symptoms of eczema, improves immunity and prevents vaginal infections
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus: supports the digestive tract and immune system
- Lactobacillus casei: relieves diarrhea
- Bifidobacterium bifidum: helps with symptoms of IBS, constipation, h.Pylori infections
- Bifidobacterium longum: Aids digestion by breaking down carbohydrates, reduces depression, helps reduce symptoms of IBS and maintains healthy cholesterol levels
- Bifidobacterium animalis: useful in helping with gastrointestinal issues including bloating and constipation, has a positive effect on immune system, and enhances metabolism
- Saccharomyces boulardii: a type of fungus that helps to treat a variety of gastrointestinal disorders and symptoms in addition to acne, high cholesterol, and UTIs
Choosing the right probiotic strain as well as creating a proper integration technique to gently begin to heal your microbiome can be extremely overwhelming. This is exactly why I work with clients one on one to choose a strain and create a strategy to assist you in making the best decision for your unique body, lifestyle, and health goals. If you are interested in learning more about how to integrate probiotics into your health and wellness ritual, you can book your free discovery call to work together here.
One of the best ways to streamline the process of choosing the right strain for you as well as creating a unique and comprehensive plan to heal your gut is through functional testing. Functional testing will provide insights as to whether you are suffering from specific food sensitivities, “Leaky Gut”, or Candida. From there, the road to healing is much more clear. Click here to order your functional tests and move forward in your health journey.
Whether you decide to work with a practitioner or not, it is extremely important to buy probiotics from trusted brands that have been tested to ensure optimal quality as probiotics are live bacteria. The brands I recommend that can be found on my online supplement dispensary include:
- Genestra HMF Forte
- Genestra HMF IBS Relief
- Genestra HMF Intensive
I know the Health and Wellness world can be overwhelming, but achieving your health goals should not be. You are not on this journey alone. I hope this information was helpful in taking the next step towards your healthiest self!