I know what you’re thinking: I don’t have a toxic load! However, an individual’s “toxic load” is the accumulated amount of toxins in our body through natural metabolic processes, environmental pollutants, products we use on our skin that our body has to process, and everything else we ingest on a daily basis (think cleaning products, perfumes, scents, caffeine, etc).
Now, don’t get overwhelmed. Yes, we all have some sort of toxic load and although some toxins are hard to avoid, there are so many easy ways to naturally reduce the toxic load in our bodies. We can do this mostly through small lifestyle changes that act as great and safe ways to support our body in its natural detoxification process – and thus decrease our overall ‘toxic load’ where we can. By reducing our consumption of unnecessary toxins and increasing our natural detoxification capabilities, we reduce the amount of unnecessary additional toxins the liver has to process. Since the liver is the main organ in processing and detoxifying the body, by intentionally limiting our exposure to toxins where we can, we let it work to deal with and eliminate those toxins that are harder to avoid (think smog, chemicals present in foods / produce, receipt paper, etc).
By reducing our overall exposure to toxins, our body is able to run more smoothly and efficiently so we can then more easily achieve overall, balanced health.
Just by making some small changes and being more intentional about your exposure to toxins, you can see improved digestion, healthier-looking skin, increased energy levels, decreased inflammation in the body, and generally start feeling better…yes please!
Here are some of the easiest ways to start reducing your toxic load today!
- Cook at Home: Cooking at home is one of the easiest ways to avoid additional toxins. Often restaurants use more inflammatory ingredients – such as vegetable oils or canola oils – as they are usually cheaper + unnoticeable in taste. These kind of ingredients, for example, are highly inflammatory and wreak havoc on our body. By choosing to cook at home, you are able to be more intentional about every ingredient you choose and will, inevitably, feel lighter and more nourished.
- Eat More Organic + Buy Local: Even though buying Organic can be more expensive, start small by choosing a few items on your grocery list to swap for organic. Check out the “Dirty Dozen” foods that are most important to buy organic and start there. Buying organic + buying local produce will reduce your exposure to toxins like pesticides, fungicides and herbicides, antibiotics, and artificial hormones!
- Incorporate Herbs: Try to add in herbs that increase liver enzyme function. Some herbs to choose include oregano, parsley, and cilantro. Cilantro is especially important because it binds to and helps excrete heavy metals! Check out the top cleansing foods + herbs on my instagram here!
- Add in Colorful Foods: You’ve heard that phrase: Eat the rainbow! Well, colorful foods mean MORE antioxidants. Increasing antioxidants in your diet supports the liver in the detoxing process. Try adding berries, algaes like Spirulina + Chlorella, and any other fresh, red or orange fruit and vegetables to your diet when you can.
- Drink Filtered Water: We all know how important it is to stay hydrated! Water keeps our organs functioning well, flushes toxins and waste from the body, and transports nutrients to where they are needed. Plus it’s a natural lubricant that softens stool + promotes bowel function (one of our body’s main ways of eliminating toxins). Buy simply drinking filtered water, you are eliminating many toxins that are present in tap water!
- Sweat, Baby, Sweat! Our skin is the biggest detoxifying organ of the body. Sweating is one of the most effective ways to eliminate toxins including phthalates, BPA, and heavy metals in the body. Even if you only have time for a 15 minute sweat sesh that day, it all adds up in helping to reduce your overall toxic load!
If you’re ready to start feeling better and are looking for the structure, accountability, and community, you’ll love my 7 Day Holistic Cleanse Program Starting on September 27th. In this program we discuss and implement all six of these steps through easy to follow recipes, group check ins via Zoom, and a free virtual workout class!
You can register here to join the wonderful group of women in the next program starting September 27th!